From:
Dan Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:33:06 -0500
A neighbor/acquaintance of mine is 3 weeks postpartum.  She had an emergency c-section after pushing for 3 hours.  Baby was full-term and healthy, but mom was told she could not nurse because she "lost a lot of blood."  She still looks quite pale to me but is getting around.  She even made it to our synagogue's annual dinner at 1 1/2 weeks postpartum (without the baby, but that's another story -- see below).  She seems somewhat disappointed that she' s not nursing, as I heard her say, "next time I'll do it."  I'd like to try to encourage her to nurse, at least to try it (not necessarily striving to be her baby's only supply of nourishment, but at least providing some breastmilk).  Has anyone been successful in helping a 3 week postpartum mom relactate?  What does it entail?  Most importantly, is there a delicate way of approaching the subject?  In my neighborhood, it's the custom to help provide meals for new moms, even relative strangers.  Maybe I could use that as an opening.  Part of my interest is that I'm really concerned about the bond between this mom and baby.  She has a full-time baby nurse (for about another month) and a husband who has stated that he will not let the baby "change their entire lives."  I saw her again in public this weekend at a party, again without the baby, where she made the comment, only half-joking, that she "barely sees her child" and that she feels overwhelmed by this new responsibility.  She is only 23 and has just had a traumatic birth.  Even before the birth, I shared a meal with her and she seemed terrified of labor, without the excitement of becoming a new mom, so I think there were emotional issues even before the birth.  In terms of emotional support, I am definitely offering, as in "if you need anything or any company, I'm here."  But I think delicately encouraging nursing may help this mom to deal better with her new role and feel more confident in her abilities.  Does anyone agree/disagree and/or have any suggestions?