From:
Heather LaRosa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:35:44 -0500
I do know those psychic predictions well! Along with our efforts to become a
baby-friendly facility, we have started to do a lot of community bf support.
One thing is every few months I will speak to expectant moms at my local
BRU.  Often new moms will come back and tell me about their birth/bf
experience.  I can usually in my head guess with amazing accuracy which
hospital mom gave birth in before she says it, just by the things she tells me
about her experiences.  It is just so amazing that hospitals are still doing
things certain ways.  I know a mom who recently was kept from her baby for
24 hours because she had a temp of 100.5 x1 during her pushing.  Baby went
to NICU for a work up too.  I'd like to ask that hospital what evidence
supports the need for a policy like that, and if they found it in a museum.
Sometimes I am shocked in a good way, recently a mom who gave birth in a
hospital with a very high C/S rate and very low bf rate told me she had a drug
free NSVD, and was exclusively bf.  I felt like I had seen the Loch Ness
Monster! She was truly a rare find from this hospital.  It is sad that where you
deliver can truly influence how you birth as well as how successful you are
with bf.  Its too bad we can not have standard up to date, evidence based bf
policies that all hospitals follow.

-Heather LaRosa RN, IBCLC