From:
Linda Madsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 11:46:21 -0700
>>This is a great endeavor and I'm looking forward to
some more ideas.
Just a
note about the situations some of us have encountered.
I actually
"pumped" a
patient on a vent last fall when she was in ICU post
c/s due to ARDS
(days 2-5).<<

In addition to the general lactation assistance
guidelines/information sheet being given to each of
the hospital units, my idea would be to add an
instruction module(s) for assessment of the lactating
breast, operation of the pump, how to get assistance
with problems, who is available when, etc.  The policy
& procedure should be available on all of the units in
their manuals.

Let's go on the basis that the overwhelming majority
of nurses want what's best for their patients--all of
them.  Realize that most RN's are in their late 30's
to early 40's & may have limited knowledge &
experience with breastfeeding women.  If one's
specialty isn't in the maternal child arena, they may
have gone 15 years since they had their obstetrical
and pediatric clinical rotations.  What you don't use,
you lose.  What is not taught, you don't even have the
choice of forgetting.  I know that use of a
hospital-grade pump was *not* covered in my nursing
school education.  Very little at all was taught about
breastfeeding--at least not much that was helpful.

Many institutions have nursing education days to cover
issues for safety, infection control, basic and
advanced life support.  Propose a plan to educate the
nurses and assistants on all units and familiarize the
services you can provide.  Plan on going to all shifts
to provide inservices if possible.  Try and identify
supportive people on the units to implement the plan.
I know I had to spend time when I worked in the
hospital showing people on my own unit more than once
how to hook up the pump.

It would also be a great project for involving nursing
students in surveying the general knowledge level of
the staff and taking on as a research/education
project.

Linda Madsen RN, IBCLC