From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 04:37:35 +0000
I appreciate everyone's comments on this thread. Someone pointed out that
the hospital 'culture' itself is a factor in untimely weaning. Absolutely.
Jan gave several examples of this. However, even mothers who attended
prenatal bf class, and learned more about this with the LC postpartally,
still often 'allow' the babies to spend 9p-9a in the nsy getting quite a few
formula feeds. Part of this is the nsy staff's doing to be sure, but part of
it is the mother's decision.

I wonder, too, if hospital-based LCs - who are expected to round on every bf
dyad (some more motivated than others) experience more frustration than
private practice LCs who are being sought out by the mother. Lots of moms
say they want to do breast/bottle and so instead of saying "OKay" the LC
begins some gentle education. In either case, Barbara is right, the LC has
to 'let go.' I surely will be working more on this. In fact, I will practice
on Monday.

Good luck to test takers.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN - recertified last year
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA