From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 23:38:07 +0100
Soy formula is considered to be more allergenic than cow's milk
formula.  It really shouldn't be the 'first port of call'.  I understand
the mother's upset, but she needs to know that soy formula is not a
'safer' version than cow's milk formula (if this is the reasoning behind
her choice).

Some practitioners, such as Sears, reccommend Goat's Milk formula as a
better alternative to cow's milk, as the milk profile is better matched
to human biology than cow's milk is, but even that is problematic as
they've not been 'passed' for use under one year.  However Dr Sear's
site does list a long standing recipie for home made goat's milk formula
for parents who would prefer to know what's going into the formula they
are using (as opposed to the 'unknowns' of commercial formula).  Again,
however, this is not an unproblematic choice, given the controversy over
goat's milk formula and the presence of advertising for manufactured
Goat's Milk formula on the Sear's site.

Sorry not to have answers for her, but she really needs to know all the
issues in context.  :-(

Morgan Gallagher