From:
Chris Boutal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 15:49:37 EST
It's a good point, nursing = past a year or so, breastfeeding=feeding at the
breast.

( Mouth-feeding ? Breastfeeding=food from breast, mouthfeeding sounds a bit
intimate, I think I get my food off a spoon or fork, though I think some birds
do mouthfeeding, e.g. penguin )

words shape our thoughts.

What word is used when an animal feeds her young ? Cows don't 'udder-feed'. What
about rabbits, kangaroos, dolphins,etc.

Before going too far off the point, there is a science in helping mothers to
'breastfeed', because, as in medical emergencies, we need knowledge, as well as
experience.

And it feels presumptuous to help a woman to nurse her baby, as it's her
prerogative to find her own style.

There is evolution in language, as well as in living creatures. We cannot go
backwards. Maybe we need a word that includes the other stuff, e.g. immunities,
age-related nutritional content, etc. as well as the cuddly bits.

Maybe some people don't breastfeed because they don't feel comfortable with the
word breast. Some people say 'boobs' for breasts, and also for mistakes.

BTW, overheard at a study day: 'but doesn't bottle-feeding change the flora in
the gut ? Is it any good to bottle-feed ebm, if this is true ?' AARGH !

Helena Boutal