From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:02:32 -0400
Last night a mother called who is nursing an 18 month old.
A few weeks ago the baby had an ear infection and was given cefaclor.
The mother then developed sore cracked nipples.  The baby has now been
diagnosed with chicken pox and with herpes in the mouth.  The mother
was told to wean the baby because SHE might get herpes as a result of
nursing.  I have no idea how to help her other than suggesting cultures
for thrush and herpes for both mother and baby, a discussion of the
problem with the mother's doctor and a second pediatric opinion.
I did tell her that I nursed my 21 month old with herpes sores in his
mouth a while back (he's 24 yo now) but that is anecdotal and obviously not
enough  for her.

There was an article in the American Family Physician in 1989 (I only
read the abstract) that presented a
case report of transmission of herpes from baby to mother.

My basic question is:
Why should the physician be so concerned about the possibility of the
mother acquiring herpes?  How dangerous is herpes for an adult?  Ruth
Lawrence only discusses the dangers to a neonate if the *mother* has the
virus not the other way around.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.  This sounds like a motivated mom
and now I am a very motivated LLLL.

TIA

Sarah Friend Barnett, LLLL, IBCLC
Bronx (New York City), New York