From:
Sara Dodder Furr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:09:52 -0600
I faxed my letter to Secretary Thompson this morning.  I then sent an email
with the letter attached to Gina Ciagne in the Office of Women's Health.
Ms. Ciagne (a mother of a breastfed child) conducted the media training in
which I participated last summer, along with hundreds of others (including
some on this list).  She did a great job with the training and, as I wrote
to Secretary Thompson, "Her enthusiasm and knowledge of this project were
inspiring to most of us.  I say "most of us" because someone mentioned the
fact that there were likely to be representatives of the infant formula
industry participating in the teleconference and they were likely to be
developing a counter-campaign as we spoke.  While that may have sounded
slightly paranoid at the time, I now see that it was true."

Within two minutes, Ms. Ciagne responded via e-mail, thanking me for writing
the letter.  She also wrote that, "The Department is very committed to the
campaign and to breastfeeding.  The campaign is still forthcoming though we
want to make certain that the campaign is the best it can be prior to the
launch."  I hope that "the best it can be" means the campaign will be
unchanged from its current message which promotes exclusive breastfeeding
and presents breastfeeding as the biological norm.

Sara Dodder Furr
LLL Leader
Lincoln, Nebraska USA