From:
The Bentleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:56:01 -0500
Sounds like sensitivities is a distinct possibility!  My first was up 5-8
times a night screaming, yet fine all day, until we elimated wheat.  Had
lots of moms find vast improvement by removing dairy from their diets (and
mom supplementing with calcium if this is felt to be necessary), especially
for the first 3 months.  "No history of allergy" can be misleading because
they may  not consider excema, switching formulas to find one that is
tolerated, ear infections, or colic as allergies.  Lots of info at LLLI
www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p100.html
www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep97p75.html

"Lists of the foods most likely to trigger allergic responses differ from
source to source and culture to culture, but cow's milk and dairy products
top them all. There are more than 20 substances in cow's milk that have been
shown to be human allergens (Stigler 1985)."

Breastfeeding mothers who want to discontinue dairy to see if it helps
colicky or gassy infants can omit all dairy from their diets (cream soups
and sauces, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter, cream, milk - they usually
need a list) for at least two weeks.  Their pharmacist or health care
practitioner can recommend a calcium supplement.  After 4 - 5 days, the baby
may get worse for a day or so as the body goes through withdrawal.
Encourage them to stick it out!  Rarely, it can take 3 - 6 weeks for the
dairy to clear both systems but mothers often see a difference in 2 - 7
days.

Michelle Bentley CLE, LLLL