Date:
Sat, 1 May 1999 12:41:27 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/99 12:12:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Dr. Lawrence Gartner speak today in Holyoke, MA on just this
 subject!  He stated that in a healthy, full-term bf infant, moderate levels
 of elevated serum unconjugated bilirubin do not require any treatment, and
 that after 72 hours of age, levels of up to 18 to 20 mg/dl in those healthy
 infants do not require supplementation with formula or interruption of bfing,
 nor is phototherapy necessary.   >>

Did he give any references? I have worked with two Moms recently who has had
their babies taken off breastmilk for 24-48 hrs and put on ABM for elevated
bilis. The levels were 23-25. Both babies were not feeding well to start with
( epidurals  and Meds ) and were very sleepy. Both were about 3 days old when
these Peds took them off breastfeeding. Both Peds are in the same practice.
One mom totally complied and got a pump to deal with the engorgement. She
went back to to totally BFing after two days of alternating breastmilk and
ABM.The other one's husband talked with a different Ped from the same
practice in the hall while Mom was being told to discontinue BFing and Dad
was told to continue BFing. So she talked with me about getting a pump to
continue her milk supply during this time. After we talked and I read to her
some information from the Answer Book etc, she said she was just going to
breastfeed and forget the pumping and ABM. The baby's bili was 18 the next
day, then 15, then back to 18 and is now at 12. And is nursing wonderfully
now at 10 days.
BTW, the ped who said to discontinue BFing is the one who came up with the
embolism in the breast story!!

PS. Does anyone on here know Ed Newton MD ? Do you know him well enough to
ask him why he does have not have  an IBCLC on staff in his department at the
Med school where he is chair?
I happen to know a very good IBCLC who also just finished college with a BS
in Health Education!!!! And is interested in a job!!!

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Finished school at ECU yesterday and will graduate May 15th!