Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 06:21:05 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
  I question the use of drugs to induce lactation.  I question the use of drugs not because I think it doesn't work(I don't know, are there studies on this in regard to induced lactation?)  I question their use because of what that may mean to the mother's understanding of milk production.  If we believe that a drug is what helps us produce milk, will we do the work that is needed to bring in a milk supply(getting the baby to the breast often enough)  I only say this because I have worked with some moms who were given Reglan for low milk supply who just did not understand that the most important component was getting the baby to the breast often.  They believed that it was the drug that would make the milk and the idea of putting the infant to the breast often was lost in the process.  I have also worked with women who have induced lactation using no drugs, so I know that drugs are not a necessity(in some cases?).  So what is the evidence for use of drugs for induced lactation and was it compared against women who used no drugs?  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2