From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:54:32 EST
Dear, dear folks:
        Since I have started using cranio-sacral therapy in my arsenal of
techniques to resolve, I having been getting referrals of dyads with more
severe problems. I am grateful to see more moms. However, this latest round of
babies has me in such despair. :-(
        As a researcher, I look for patterns. And the pattern for the baby who comes
to me for cranial work is: 1) pitocin used, either for induction or
augmentation, 2) epidural, and 3) vacuum and/or forceps to assist with
delivery. (And is more likely to be a boy.....is that because of circumcision
or something about boys?)
        So my question is how do we get obstetricians on board to promote and support
breastfeeding?  My belief, based on years of hospital work, is that the OBs
get the baby out, care for the mother in the hospital, see her at 6 weeks, and
then once a year thereafter for well-woman care. The OBs have no idea, because
they don't see the babies, what the after-effects of the birth technology are.
Any baby problems go to neonatology or pediatrics.
        There is a desparate need for communication between disciplines. My hope is
that if they saw what happened with these babies and breastfeeding,  OBs would
be more inclined to educate and help mothers stay active in labor, use doulas,
eliminate the use of routine (I'll say it again, routine) technology, and then
people wouldn't have to go home with babies who mangle nipples, are miserable,
and don't breastfeed well. And then have to pay someone to help fix a problem
that didn't have to exist in the first place. Very upset tonight, Nikki Lee