From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 15:07:37 -0700
I agree with Laura that one needs to broaden one's views.and I've learned
that we never know what new information will be coming around next!

For example, what I've learned about Vitamin D - it's much more than
prevention of rickets!

..and what I've learned about tongue movement - that it's a lot more than
just about breastfeeding..

1.       Yes, children speaking ENGLISH can sometimes/often(?) figure out a
different tongue placement to mimic the sounds of those who don't have
tongue tie - but this is not the same for those speaking many other
languages.  When I lived in Puerto Rico, children whose tongues had limited
mobility had great problems because their speech was clearly "not normal".
(My Puerto Rican Great-uncle used to pronounce his "r" like the French "r" -
it wasn't until I became an IBCLC that I realized this was because of his
tongue-tie!)

2.       The free tongue also allows for a lot more than speech - including
teeth and oral development - and Dr. Brian Palmer's slides showed what CAN
happen when it is not free.  (www.brianpalmerdds.com)

Of course this is not EVERY child - but when I mention to a mom and dad that
I see a tongue tie, I believe it would be unprofessional of me NOT to
explain why, besides breastfeeding, they should be informed about other
potential complications.  At the very least, they should be aware of the
possible need for EARLY speech intervention/therapy (as opposed to the "wait
and see" attitude I have seen in pediatric visits and schools lately),  and
careful EARLY and REGULAR dental assessments.

I also agree with Laura that we need to learn how to perform this surgery in
the least painful way possible - but I do NOT believe that it should be
"avoided at all costs."

Risk/benefit is not so simple to measure in many of the recommendations we
give.  Our job is to keep learning, keep communicating with each other,
respectfully listen and then do the very best we can for OUR clients.  THAT
decision is ours to make!

We can only provide appropriate information and guidance when we have taken
the time to learn - but in the end, the decisions ALWAYS belong to the
parents.

Jeanette Panchula, BA-SW, RN, PHN, IBCLC

California, USA