From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:55:57 -0500

>because it lacks sufficient water.  When I was using goat formula in the
>Lact-Aid, with my adopted baby, Joseph, I started with 24 ounces of water to
>32 ounces of whole goat milk, and gradually reduced the water content over
>the first year.  I believe I was down to 12 ounces of water to a quart of
>milk by six months.  By a year old, I was using the goat milk full strength,
>but still nursing and he was also getting a little apple juice and water by
>cup.  I added more powdered lactose to the formula when I was adding more
>water, and added the same amount of folic acid per quart, regardless of the
>water content.

Darillyn, I have a client who adopted a baby who is now 14 months old.  She
has a new baby which is why I am working with her.  Her 14-month old little
boy is dairy allergic and they have started him on goat's milk.

I was trying to discern from the posts of this week if she needed to dilute
the goat's milk for him.  He eats other foods and probably some other
liquids.  I'll ask about that.  Would he also need to have added folic acid
or would a multi vitamin cover those needs?

This is perhaps beyond your knowing and I can go to the Meyenberg website
but I thought that if you used it with your older baby you might have an
idea.  She never did nurse him.  But I will propose that she give him some
of her milk.  She has plenty and we have been working to decrease her milk
supply. I think that she would be agreeable to giving him some of her milk
along with the goat's milk.

Thanks for any perspective that you may have on this.

Pat Gima

Mailto:[log in to unmask]