From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:48:27 -0400
> She introduced a bottle in the 3-4 week in so that other's could feed the
> baby.  Her son immediately started having trouble at the breast (fussy,
not
> latching, painful latch) so the bottle began to replace the breast

I've seen this, I usually have mom revert to all breast, No bottles.  If
baby needs feedings for mom to work, use cup or spoon.  They can try
bottles again in a few weeks if needed and it usually works OK.  It seems
to be a timing thing, just like the BF baby who will NOT take a bottle at 3
mo.  Also some babies seem to be more sensitive to different oral stim and
others just nurse right through engorgement.  I've always said that
unfortunately they don't come with a sticker saying "potential for nipple
confusion" .  We have to find it out the hard way :-)

Another observation on "nipple confusion."  I'm sure you've all seen the
baby on day 3 who simply can not figure out what to do with the engorged
breast/areola/nipple.  I explain it to mom that baby is not rejecting her,
just that the landscape has changed and s/he doesn't know what to do.  And
that this problem is transient, mom just has to  be patient and work
through it.  Then we work on softening up the landscape and viola, most
moms go on to cope!

Sincerely, Pat in SNJ