From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:47:18 -0800
Fio:  Thanks for  your oh so eloquent post on how those of us who don't
consume dairy don't nec substitute "other" milks.  It is difficult for cold,
processed cereal eaters (my husband for one in the beginning--18 years ago)
to imagine someone not having milk.  I don't eat boxed, processed cold
cereal (never have), but love my once or twice a week hot cooked oatmeal
(and Kasha or other whole grains) made with Tofumoo.  That is pretty much
the extent of my substituting of "other" milks in my own diet.  The rest of
my liquid is water or calcium fortified OJ.  It is truly the rare American
who doesn't get enough protein--even in low income populations  if they are
eating traditional ethnic diets (rice and beans, corn and beans, soy and
rice, rice and vegies, peanut butter and wheat=complete proteins), so I'm
not that concerned about that IF I've reviewed a patient's diet.   I'll
admit that I have seen some pretty horrible diets in my nutrition students
(who must fill out a 3 day diet log to be computer analyzed)--many exist on
Dorritos, Diet Pepsi, pepperoni sticks, hot dogs, and beer.  Fortunately,
once they've gone through pregnancy (or perhaps it is just my patient
population who tend to be Bradley childbirth graduates having followed
Brewer's high protein diet), they don't need that much work in this area.

My big issue with my own kids after they naturally weaned (3.1 yrs, 3.3
years & still nursing at 2.75 years) was to make sure they were really
getting enough calcium.  Because I too had be raised with this societal
message "If you don't drink milk, your bones will crumble" concept, I push
a couple of servings of calcium fortified orange juice (which is actually
more absorbable than the calcium in milk); and when their diet is less than
perfect,  they love those chewy chocolate flavored Viactivs.  At the urging
of our family practitioner, we have all had bone scans done and in every
case (there are 5 of us) our bone density is above the 98th percentile for
their age group.  And no, we don't necessarily come from "good stock" as our
grandparents (big milk drinkers) all had osteoporosis--one starting to show
in her early 40s.

I absolutely agree that it is sickening to see kids consuming all the soda
(even in baby bottles labelled Pepsi and 7-up) and sugar ladened Kool-Aid
type drinks.   Our kids drink a ton of filtered water and I encourage my
patients with nursing toddlers not to give apple juice, but water if they
want something in a cup.

If you, or anyone else, has references about the deleterious effects of cow
milks, please email me privately as well as to the list.  I'm expanding my
existing bibliography on this topic and would be happy to share it or post
it.  BTW, There is some outstanding anthropologic work on the bone structure
and tooth damage of civilizations once they change from hunter-gatherer to
agricultural and dairy consuming.
TIA!

Warmly,
Chris

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€