From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:32:28 -0500
Laura,

Here is my n=1: My son was born at home and his cord wasn't cut for a couple
of hours.  He had multiple food sensitivities while exclusively bf, which
resulted in diarrhea many times a day for twelve weeks until we figured out
what was going on.  At ten months, i was at a bf support group and was
offered a hemoglobin poke, since he was still not on solids at all.  His
hemoglobin was 9.8.  I had them poke me, too, and I was low, though I don't
remember the #.  I chose to supplement only myself with a homemade syrup of
yellow dock, dandelion, and blackstrap molasses.  The next month at the bf
support group, he was up to 11 something.

I know that for most nutrients, increasing mom's intake won't do a thing to
her milk, but in this case, I did not have enough iron, and bringing it up
to normal levels apparently remedied a deficiency in my milk.  I'm impressed
that between all that diarrhea and my anemia, he was still managing 9.8 at
ten months!  I am convinced that delayed cord clamping and exclusive bf gave
him a margin of safety.

Lynn
LLL MO USA
18 days and counting until Oct 29!