From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 08:36:52 GMT
>Does anyone have any LC contacts in Sterling Scotland?  <

A general note:

In the UK there are only a handful of LCs and it is likely to stay that way.  In
general there are the statutory services (midwives and health visitors), some of
who are knowledgable about breastfeeding and some (not nec the same sub-set) who
are interested in breastfeeding.  Remember we have a culture of generally FREE
health services.

Then there are the lay organisations -- we have four in the UK -- where there
are individual breastfeeding supporters, their individual experience varies, as
does the training they receive from their organsation.  (NB  the training of the
other three organisations is pretty different from that of LLLGB, as I
understand it -- and I don't know how comparable LLLGB training is with LLL in N
America).  The further north you go, as a general rule of thumb, the fewer LCs.

There happens to be a BfN Breastfeeding Supporter in Stirling, and a
breastfeeding support group, which I have seen advertised.  To access
Breastfeeding Support in the UK, anyone can phone 0870 900 8787 -- this either
swiches to the nearest BfN (The Breastfeeding Network) Breastfeeding Supporter,
or goes to a message which gives the national office numbers of the other three
organisations, who could then give the phone numbers of local -- or most local
-- breastfeeding supporters.  The line switches through between 9:30 am and 9:30
pm.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, The Breastfeeding Network, UK