From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Nov 2006 12:26:04 -0500
I was only contacted yesterday. Plus the holidays and weekends?

Doesn't mean I won't contact this person, but it would help to develop a
game plan so it doesn't come off as a shotgun blast. "Your jaundice
guidelines do not follow the AAP guidelines..." "Your knowledge of
breastfeeding seems to be lacking" "Your blood glucose information does not
match current knowledge" "Your requirements about babies needing to be under
warmers rather than on the mother's body are out of date"... Any ideas on
where to start?

I hate confrontations, because I would be described as an aggressive, rather
than assertive, person. Puts people off. I don't want to start a
relationship with someone, a relationship that could be beneficial to all,
with a shotgun blast. I need time to figure out what to say, what to do.
This impacts more than just one mother, it is a trend which has been
growing, and I'm just getting bits and pieces.

And, I have to admit. This facility has an IBCLC and a number of excellent
"lactation nurses", and the mothers come out of there very well educated and
well prepared. I hardly ever had issues with mothers/babies out of this
facility, unless there is something unusual with either. This situation has
come as rather a shock!

Best wishes,
Heather "Sam" Doak

I'm curious as to why none of you contacted the HCP to express your
concerns.  It sounds as if the mom got put in the middle of each of the
situations described, being asked to choose between her HCP and your advice.
How is the HCP going to learn anything if you don't discuss your concerns?

I talk to physical therapists, social workers, occupational therapists,
pharmacists (and on and on) every week about my patients.  I would be upset
if I found out about someone contradicting my advice without talking to me
about their concerns and I would be far less likely to work productively
with
that person in the future.

It doesn't have to be a confrontation, but these examples sound like missed
opportunities to show off what you do best and help an HCP add to their
knowledge base.

Jenny Thomas
www.drjen4kids.com