From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 23:50:27 -0700
Hi All,
To Anne:

> Will she have colostrum?
         Yes!
> For how long?
         For as long as it takes her mature milk to come in.  Took mine
about 3 days, and colostrom was pretty well gone by day 7, but every mom is
different.  (I am tandem nursing a 3 mo old and a 30 mo old)
>When a mom is nursing a toddler and has another baby, does colostrum come
in?          Again, Yes.
> will she still produce this milk <for premie>if she continues nursing her
older boy?
        Yes.  THe body produces for the new baby, not the older one.  So the
toddler will be getting milk specially designed for the new baby.
>no means ready to wean the toddler;
        Excellant!  More power to her!  Tandem nursing, while rewarding and
helpful, is not always easy.  (I am learning!)

As added info, the toddler will help mom to bring in a healthy supply for
the baby, especially if mom needs to pump for the baby.  We all know how
difficult pumping long term can be (and hopefully your mom won;t have to do
this for to long, if at all).  Also, when moms milk does come in, the
toddler can really help her avoid engorgement (Ben helped me out a lot with
this when PJ was sleeping or not hungry).  Another benefit is that newborns
of tandem nursing trios seem to put on more weight than your normal
singleton.  WHy?  I am guessing it is because they get more of the rich hind
milk than they would if they were the only one draining the breast.  With
us, if BEn BFs (and when he does he can REALLY empty a breast!) and PJ
decides that he wants to BF right after, I will put him on the side that Ben
didn't BF on, then switch him to the other side to finish.  The 2nd side has
already been thoroughly drained, so PJ gets lots of hind-milk.  And believe
me, he is a big healthy boy!  16 lbs at 3 mo!
OTher info for premies getting ONLY EBM:  Yes, there is reduced chance of
necrotizing enterocolitis, which, of course is  great thing!  ALso, the baby
will grow better and be more healthy on EBM.  We have seen here that babies
who are given only EBM (or by breast) tend to be healthier and go home
earlier than those poor babes given only AIM(formula).  Others can give you
web page addresses (as mine were all lost during a server change over).
For mom, if baby is not able to go to breast right after birth, get her
pumping right away.  Have the toddler BF whenever possible, and whatever
side the toddler doesn't BF on, have mom pump and save for the baby.  THen
pump the side the toddler BF on to get anything leftover.  Hand expression
might be able to get more out from the side the toddler BF on than the pump
would, so she might try that as well.
One benefit I have found with tandem nursing is that my toddler absolutely
adores his little brother.  There are NO jealousy problems at all.
(something I was really worried about).  I have yet to BF them both at the
same time, and don't think I will only because they are both SO BIG!  :)
Wish this mom good luck for me!  She does have a lot on her plate, but only
she can give her baby what s/he needs most right now.

Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
Mama Milk is the Greatest!