From:
Kika Baeza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2017 12:07:17 +0200
Hi Liz and everyone,

I had just finished reading IBLCE´s call for volunteers email on this same
topic. Frankly, I was very surprised and a bit confused - from where I
stand, I see no need for it. But since I stand far away from the US...

And then I opened Lactnet and there was your post, which I am very grateful
for.

I am from Madrid, Spain. I am currently President of the Spanish IBCLC
Associacion. The IBCLC profession is very young here, we are less than 200
in the whole country. We are fighting for our profession and credential to
be recognized in Spain. At this point, the appereance of another
credential, no matter how much of a stepping stone toward IBCLC, would just
create confusion and division. Most health care professionals still don´t
know what an IBCLC is... if we add other titles, it will muddle the waters.

Also, one of the most frequent reasons people come to our web is to ask
about how to become an IBCLC - the IBLCE Pathways are confusing and unclear
for A LOT of people. If IBCLE adds other pathways for other credentials
´the confusion will multiply.

About there being other breastfeeding "certified" that do not have
certified credentials - yes, we have that here in our country too. I think
different types of counselling and support are necessary for mothers and
babies (peer, mother to mother, LLL, BF knowledgeable HCP...). There is
such a variety already, I don´t think IBLCE needs to add more. Just support
the IBCLCs and help those who want to become one!

If IBLCE wants to expand its international reach, we believe more energy
should be put into translating exam studying material, into meeting with
government officials from different countries to present and support our
credential, and into simplyfying the pathways.

I have sent a similar email to IBLCE...

​Hugs to all, happy weekend.
Kika​

--
Dra. Carmela Baeza
Médico de Familia

Autora de "Amar con los Brazos Abiertos"
http://www.ediciones-encuentro.es/libro/amar-con-los-brazos-abiertos.html