From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 14:31:40 -0500
Hi All,
I agree with Pamela from Zimbabwe.
Though I live in the USA, I too think it is stupid to "pay" someone (give
them free formula) to bottle-feed their babies, especially when it is so much
easier to BF, and is better for everyone anyways.  I have no problem with the
paying taxes to help other women BF, but I do have a problem with paying for
others to ABM feed when BF is free and better for the baby, the mom and the
countrys economy/health care system.  I get tired of the handouts too.
Unfortunately, the Govt sees this as a way to make sure that the babies are
getting fed something nutritious and aren't being starved.  Too many
uneducated, low income moms think it is OK to feed their newborns soda,
koolaide, and other garbage that can kill or seriously injure the baby, so
the Govt, in order to try and save lives of babies gives the moms free
formula to help make sure the babies get what they need for at least the
first 6 months.
I wish that the USA would be tougher and not give ABM for at least the first
month or two, but it won't happen any time soon!
Jay