Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:57:08 EDT
Carol,
Feel free to share this. You've certainly opened a sore spot with me on this
issue. I am sure I know exactly which pump company this is. As in other
posts, this is marketing, pure and simple. They want you to believe that it
is in the best interest of the mothers, however, it is in only their best
interest. This company spends so much money on their "freebies" to the LC's
all in the guise of helping out. What they are doing is exactly like the
formula companies, and we are letting them! We need to put breastfeeding back
to the mothers/babies. We don't in most cases need gadgets, pumps etc., but
parents are seeing ads and believing that all these things are needed. Look
closely at some of the pump company ads and you will see very ambiguous
wording. In fact in our area certain gadgets are for sale in baby stores
now!!! Carts in mothers rooms are not helpful, moms are at a vulnerable point
and may think the hospital believes she needs these things, as they are
supportive of it. A list of places where mom can get help is much more
beneficial. I, for one, am very tired of aggressive marketing. This
particular boast of increasing deliveries and breastfeeding rates is for the
birds. They are so deceptive. Please think long and hard about your part in
this marketing ploy.
Sorry, this really ticks me off. As a group we need to be very cognizant of
how we are being used.

Lisa A Enger RN BSN IBCLC
Boston, MA