From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 19:58:47 -0400
Mardrey,  My first breast reduction patient was one of those self
starters who came in with the best "I will do it" mixed with realism
attitude I have ever seen.  She came to me prenatally to purchase an SNS
(which she later donated unused to the maternity center).  She was fully
prepared to supplement with the SNS at the first sign of insufficient
intake but it was never needed.  After the birth the only problem was
finding a compromise for an effective latch that was not too shallow but
that did not put pressure on her areolar scars.  Pressure from
compression hurt if applied directly at the areolar margin, shallow
latches caused nipple soreness.  This particular mom had surgery many
years ago and thought the areola was removed with no flap then
replaced.  Amazingly she fully breastfed for 6 months, never required
supplementation during that time then weaned having achieved her
personal goal in breastfeeding.

So, could pressure over the old suture line be causing your mom's breast
pain?

--
Carla D'Anna, RN, IBCLC hospital based LC
from Maryland, just north of Washington, DC