From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:47:21 -0500
I am an RN, IBCLC since 1987, previously ASPO certified, etc.  In 1994,
I chose to get my bachelors' in something other than nursing - Human
Resources Management.  My degree had equal parts management and
psychology.  This degree has been SO useful with lactation, including
the parts on counseling.  Sometimes I wish I had gone for my BSN in
nursing then a master's but the education I got was better from this
degree.  I am too old to pursue any further degrees.  I will take the
exam this year.  I agree with the idea that LC needs to be a stand-alone
profession similar to OT and PT and believe it will go there.  I agree
there is enough material to be learned, especially if we include info
from OT and PT and Nutrition which all fit into the picture.  I foresee
a time when such a degree will be available - but for that to happen,
there has to be adequate compensation and recognition.  Who can spend
$75,000 acquiring a degree where they can't make money enough to pay it
back?  There is ALWAYS a money angle to everything!  In the meantime,
until I retire, I'll keep my IBCLC by passing exams, keep learning and
helping the 1000 or more moms I personally see every year! Let's not
forget why we are here and waste too much energy.  By the way, if I want
to go back to an RN role, I have to do a whole LOT of re-training.  So
even if I am grand-fathered in as RN, I really couldn't function well in
ICU any more.  That's how it goes when you specialize!
Jane