Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 14:39:10 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
hi all wise ones.
have a 36 yr old IVF mom gave birth to two healthy boys, 2.580 and 2.800 who are 9 days old.  Mom had last 3 months bedrest for acute adema. weight went from 140 to 205 lbs.
no changes in breasts throughout pregnancy. No breast surgery. boys delivered by C-sec due breech position. the MD said that there were rivers of water upon incision, she was really freaked. She felt like she had elephantitis, as she was so huge in pregnancy. Already after one week she was nearly back to prepregnancy weight!

Babies never latched on, she says they just have no interest in the breast. Plus she tries and they scream. I would imagine that she has very little to no milk from lack of stimulation. Gave her a Lactina and suggested pumping every two hours. That was Thursday. Referred her to another LC as I am with the flu. She has a "baby carer" taking care of her and the babies and it is clear that she is pretty much anti-bf. I told her to keep trying maybe with non-nutritive sucking, frequently in a calm manner. She says she got 60 cc out on Thursday, pumping 4x and on Friday even less.

I suspect that the motivation has gone down the tubes due to 1) lack of signs of milk flowing 2) baby "carer" constantly telling her to get her strength back.
Another LC suggested Motillium  but MD said that it could be detrimental to her overall health, as she is feeling very weak.

anyone have similar symptons, lack of milk, edema (sp?) no hx of hormonal imbalance, no thyroid problems. maybe there is something here I missed?

thanks.
ellen shein, ibclc, tel aviv

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2