From:
Cassandra Leahy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:45:24 -0500
Good morning.  I need some help with a current situation and the mother
involved has given me permission to post.

Mom with twins 10 days old

Symptoms over weekend:

Slight pain when feeding
Intense "shooting" pain after feeding
Nipples bilateral unremarkable
No redness on breast
Mom reports "clumps" in breast milk
Clumps 1" long "stringy"
Yellow mucus appears to coat nipple after pumping (mom describes as "yellow
snot")

Symptoms over last 24 hours:

General aches and pains
Clumping discontinued
Still no visible redness on breast
Yellow mucus on nipples after pumping remains

Mom was placed on antifungal topical cream and an antibiotic on Friday.
Symptoms over weekend worsened except for clumping.  Mom noticed over
the last 24 hours that clumping had discontinued, but now is reporting general
aches and pains with low grade fever.

Due to the clumping, I am leaning towards a Mastitis infection.  How can I find
out what bacteria is causing infection (culture milk/nipple?)?  How do I rule out
yeast infection (and do I have to rule out a yeast infection)?  I have heard of
clumping, but not the yellow mucus before, any thoughts? Her OB will need to
diagnose and prescribe but what direction should we go?

Standard plan of care for infection, including emptying of breast, has been
priority.

I would love to offer mom more information to assist her with a proper
diagnosis and treatment plan; her OB is receptive. I would appreciate any
assistance offered; you can email me privately at [log in to unmask]

Thank you,

Cassandra Leahy
BA, RN, MSN, LCCE, IBCLC