Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 17:04:18 -0500
>"...then breast-feeding to the age of 1 year, if possible, supplemented by
>solid food."
>
>Here's yet another media misquote of the AAP statement on breastfeeding.
>The AAP recommends *at least* one year of breastfeeding, not breastfeeding
>up to one year of age.

I've been wondering:  doesn't "a year or more" mean the same thing as "at
least a year"?  The actual wording is "It is recommended that breastfeeding
continue for at least 12 months, and thereafter for as long as mutually
desired."

If we paraphrase it as "a year or more", doesn't that put a stronger
emphasis on the beyond-a-year part and perhaps make it less open to
misinterpretation?
--
Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY
www.wiessinger.baka.com