From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:40:48 +0200
Thanks for all suggestions so far.  It's not too late to get your 5 ml in
either, if you haven't gotten around to writing yet.

My thoughts before I posted were that the following should be included:
on-cue feeding (what it is and how it plays out in the first days), the
baby's inborn ability and how to allow baby to use it, that *normal*
breastfeeding does *not* involve skin trauma and constant pain the first few
weeks, and what you should be able to expect in a Baby-Friendly unit.  Our
parliament decreed a few years ago that Baby-Friendly is the minimum
standard, only they 'forgot' a few key points, like telling all the units
that they had to get in line, and providing for monitoring and enforcement
:-(, not to mention providing for adequate staffing.

But I figure that an informed group of users of the system will help us pull
our socks up!

I want to communicate that breastfeeding, like childbirth, works best if it
happens in safe surroundings with minimum interference, and that it's normal
to need info/support when doing something so new and different.  Will also
mention that breasts have what babies need, right from the start, provided
baby is not prevented from getting hold of it - even though your breasts
won't feel 'filled up' for a few days.  We have low epidural rates but
correspondingly higher opiate analgesia rates, and women are not informed of
the effect this has on the baby's ability to feed in the first days after
birth.

The worst dilemma is from knowing I can not promise them that they will get
timely, appropriate help in our unit or in the community if they need it.
I've landed on 'you have the right to expect....' but am very open for
suggestions for improvement.

Rachel