From:
Steffany Flakker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:37:40 -0400
Hello, I am a second semester Junior nursing student at the University
of North Dakota.  For one of my classes I am working with a pregnant client
who is uncomfortable with breastfeeding. The only way she will consider
breastfeeding, is if doing so will decrease her baby’s chances of
developing environmental allergies or asthma.
    I did some research on the issue and found agreement that breastfeeding
decreases the risk of the development of food allergies (Zeretzke, 1998).
However, the research on correlations with environmental allergies and
asthma is conflicting.  According to Saarinen & Kajosaari (1995)
breastfeeding is prophylactic against the development of atopic disease in
childhood and adolescence. However, a longitudinal study in New Zealand
provided evidence that breastfeeding does not protect children and
potentially increases their risk of developing atopy and asthma(Sears et
al., 2002).
    I would like to provide the mother with accurate information so she can
make an informed decision on whether or not to breastfeed.  I am wondering
if anybody has additional insights regarding this matter?