From:
"John F. Reuning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 19:47:14 -0500
Denise,
     How ironic that the neonatologist gives good a start-up recommendation
but for a misguided reason!  My favorite study involving only the effect of
the product (breastmilk), not the process (bf) is:  Lucas A, et al. Breast
milk & subsequent intelligence quotient in children born preterm.  Lancet
1992; 339(2):261-64.  To quote from LLLI's "Facts about BF", 1993:
"Children who had consumed mother's milk in the early weeks of life had a
significantly higher IQ at 7 1/2-8 years than did those who received no
maternal milk."   My understanding of this study's methodology and
significance is that these babies received EBM or ABM while hospitalized.
Since no infants receiving were actually bf, the effects of the
relationship/interaction between mother & baby during bf could be eliminated
as a variable affecting the results of the study.  An excellent source of bf
references are LLLI's "Facts about Breastfeeding" sheets; a new one is
published every year.  Another good info sheet is "Breastfeeding--Baby's
First Immunization", #456, LLLI, 1995.  If you are also a LLLL, get 'em
quick, if not, contact your local group ASAP. (Am I old enough to be your
mother?  That's what this sounds like!  Ole Bossy, that's me.  Sorry, but I
get very frustrated just thinking about your situation.)
     There are many excellent and compelling studies showing advantages of
human milk, but perhaps my favorite article about breastfeeding is an
editorial entitled "Breastmilk versus Breastfeeding: Product versus
Process", written by Kathy Auerbach, JHL 7(3), 1991.  She eloquently reminds
us that while human milk is a complex and unique product, breastfeeding is a
complex, unique and intimate relationship that provides intangible benefits
which cannot be studied and quantified.  I have encountered health care
professionals and others who don't accept that mother's milk is superior to
ABM; I attribute that attitude to a failure to read the literature & accept
what's looking them in the face.  What frustrates me almost as much are
those who seem not to differentiate between EBM and BREASTFED breastmilk;
the product is worthwhile, but the relationship isn't so important.  Funny
that "your" doctor seems to think that the process is more important than
the product.
Sara Reuning, LLL & IBCLC, climbing off the soapbox & into a snowdrift in TN