From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:01:58 -0800
I have checked the archives but am having difficulties using the right
set of words to get what I want.  I am looking for a webpage listing the
properties of breastmilk and/or what is known to be missing from
formula.  I am also looking for the WHO webpage regarding their
recommendations for infant nutrition (lost it in my bookmarks!).
Thirdly I am looking for any website that discusses why we don't put
rice cereal into the formula of very young infants.

This Thursday while I must be in Grand Jury, the local Teen Parent High
School Advisory board will be discussing the importance of BFing.  Many
teachers are morally outraged that these young mothers are back at
school and doubly outraged that they sometimes are called out of class
or late to class to BF their young infants. (Teen moms return after 6
weeks pp.)  I've got a hospital grade pump in the childcare center for
BFing moms to use free of charge.  The lovely (smirk) Pediatrician on
the advisory board doesn't think these teen parents need childbirth,
BFing, or parenting instruction as part of their curriculum.  He thinks
they should use the same resources moms in the community do.  (This was
the guy who didn't know what La Leche League was when I asked if his
pregnant wife would be attending after the birth of their third child.
He thought it was a spanish speakers club!)  He thinks rice cereal is
appropriate in the formula bottles of young infants so moms can stay in
class uninterrupted.  He is the pediatrician for *this* community, let
me tell you!

Any words of wisdom?  :-)
--
Monique