From:
Jean Ridler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:14:54 +0200
It is my opnion that IBCLCs do need to know about abnormal feeding.  As
stated previoulsy, we know about the newborn's stomach capacity, paced
feeding etc.  We know that formula fed infants need to be held and
interacted with while feeding.  The food may be abnormal, we can help the
mother make the other aspects of feeding as close to the norm as possible.

In the hospital where I work, almost all mothers initiate breastfeeding and
99% of those are discharged breastfeeding.   As the IBCLC I am responsible
for infant feeding.  The occassional mother who is bottle feeding needs to
know how to prepare formula in the least dangerous way possible.  This is
done one-on-one.  This adheres to the provisions of the Code of Marketing of
Breast-milk Subsitutes.

The IBCLE Clincal Competencies Checklist lists "Safe formula preparation and
feeding techniques" under the skills needed for maternal breastfeeding
challenges.

Jean Ridler  RN  RM  IBCLC
South Africa   [log in to unmask]