From:
Rhoda Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 18:23:36 -0700
Linda,
        I empathize with your filing. Anyone who has seen my office would know it
is characterized by piles of "to be filed"  Every few weeks I spend an hour
or two at one of my least favourite tasks.
I maintain files in several file drawers and my solution to
>Yes, it's tedious to decide whether an article on nipple yeast belongs in
"infant infections" or "breast
>pathology" or "BF management" or all of the above. >  has been to file it
under one topic then write on the file folders of the others "also look
under xyz"  My files are used extensively by other LCs and some nurses so
the computer system doesn't work. I also find the notes generate other
avenues worth researching when I am looking at a problem. I use the nih web
location you mentioned extensively as well as some European search agents.
pubmed can be very north american centered and there is valuable research
published elsewhere we never seem to hear about. I agree that anecdotal
learning is hazardous. Enough of my sacred truths have been proven wrong
over the years that I am question more and assume less.
Rhoda Taylor, B.A., IBCLC
Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada