From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 08:30:10 -0800
Barb:  Good to hear from you. Periodontal Disease is tricky, but so
prevalent (and there is some evidence that it worses in pregnancy and
lactation).  My answer would depend on from what the CoQ10 is derived? NSP
has an herbal formulation of this and it is acceptable in moderation after a
mom's milk supply is established.  However, there are better ways to treat
periodontal disease...or at least ways to reduce the quantity of CoQ10
consumed.   Using an oral solution of Melaleuca or tea tree oil as a mouth
wash twice a day is one of the best (along with religious flossing, brushing
and visiting the dentist).  Using this solution in a Waterpik machine works
even better.  Please don't let her swallow it (you may print this for her).
The company that makes the best tea tree is MELALEUCA corp.  They have a
full line of dental products with tea tree in it.  If she wants, I can put
her in touch with the company.

I also strongly recommend the continued use of a high protein diet in
lactating women (follow Dr. Tom Brewer's Pregnancy diet of 100 gm/day-- this
is also Bradley childbirth method's recommendation) to minimize oral health
problems during lactation.  In addition, the use of NSP's Wild Yam and
Vitex, Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids, and a few other things helps balance
lacationally-induced menopausal symptoms which can result in recession of
the gums and tooth loosening.  Taking a Calcium with Magnesium and Vit D
supplement is desireable as well as is not consuming products high in
phosporus (soda pop in particular).

I have other suggestions, but this should get her started.

Good luck!
Warmly,
Chris

--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
mom, wife, active UU church member, educator, lactation consultant,
homeschool mom, researcher, scientist, author, organic gardener,
photographer, wilderness adventurer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner;)