From:
Amy West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:25:30 -0400
"Further we can read that "the authors declare that none of them own stock
or shares in any organization that could benefit from this study. "

Based on her LinkedIn page (a professional networking website, for those who
may be unfamiliar), Jimi Francis lists her prior employment as:

-Research Consultant for Handi-Craft:  2005-2006
-Clinical Director at Simplisse:  2006-present

Perhaps she doesn't own stock outright, but I'd say it's fair to assume she
has a vested interest in the performance of the companies writing her
paychecks; companies that definitely stand to benefit from her research (why
else would they employ her?).  Additionally, I find the phrase "'served as a
resource regarding breastfeeding issues for Handi-craft Company'" to be a
little deceptive:  she was not a mere resource, she was their employee.

Given that she does not disclose her Clinical Director status at Simplisse
as a competing interest, but she does mention Handi-Craft, I find this to be
furhter evidence that the two companies are actually one and the same (or
Ms. Francis made a massive omission in her disclosures).

To answer Karleen's "How can this be?? How did this get past the reviewers?"
 - It appears that the people at Handi-Craft/Simplisse are VERY savvy at
creating appearances which cover the true nature of their business structure
and purposes.

Amy
(who is training to be an IBCLC and is particularly offended by WHO Code
violators with goals more focused on making money than helping babies and
their mothers)