From:
Barbara Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:25:24 -0400
Does anybody have any suggestions for me? I have the mother's permission to
post this to Lactnet.
Mother has a 14 month old, Kyle who is still nursing several times a day
and mom is now 16 weeks pregnant with #2 baby.
She is having a LOT of nipple soreness and feels that he is tongue
thrusting and also holding his tongue back and 'rubbing my nipple with it'.
All attempts to get him to open his mouth wider are to no avail. he either
just laughs or gets mad.
We have tried the suggestions in the LLL Answer Book and then some. Have
ruled out thrush as a possible cause. I was her doula when Kyle was born
and they have been doing beautifully until now. She said that she hoped to
"nurse until he didn't want to any more" and I  support her to do this.
We have talked extensively about the pregnancy being a cause of the
soreness but we want to rule out anything else and help her deal with this
now.
She is open to any and all suggestions and solutions.
You can email me privately if you wish, at [log in to unmask]
Thanks.
Barbara Kennedy RN ICCE CD(DONA) IBCLC
Stanley, NB Canada