From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2004 11:14:05 -0700
On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:54:00 -0800, Lisa Marasco IBCLC
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I have been researching non-latex finger cots. I have discovered "nitrile"
> cots, which seem to be the latest alternative, but find them in lab supply
> sites rather than medical. Has anyone worked with the nitrile as gloves or
> cots? Are they superior to vinyl?  Can anyone recommend a brand or source
> for nitrile or non-latex finger cots?

I haven't purchased them, but my pediatric dentist uses them in his
office exclusively.   they appear to fit well and are comfortable for
the staff.  My dentist uses them for me and they seem to be ok with
their use, although I have to remind them every time- sometimes after
the finger is in my mouth.  :-(  I hope they get better and I get
better with the reminders.  the ped dentist uses bright purple, which
the kids are fine with- but are there less intense colors for babies I
wonder.

oh, Barbara- maybe you should call your local Children's Hospital and
pediatric dentists about getting your dental care there.   I don't
know if the kid's dentist is latex free although I suspect it might
be- but Denver Children's is *entirely* latex free- no balloons
allowed, no latex gloves for cleaners, etc.  My second daughter had
dental work done there under general so I know the potential for that
is there.    You might also explore using a respiratory hospital for
your care and maybe employment? as they are more likely to be latex
free.

kate, who is hopeful that she can someday throw away her medic alert
bracelet because latex is GONE.
--
--
Kate, http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/advantages-of-formula.html