From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 03:11:57 -0230
<< If the mom is using the nipple shield appropriately it shouldn't affect
> her supply. >>

in this case while the sheild is being used correctly, the baby still
isn't latching and transferring well.  while she is getting a
sufficient amount of milk, it's only b/c of mom's rapid easy letdown
and abundant supply.  I'm thinking that while her supply is 'still'
okay,  it's just a matter of time before it starts to down regulate
b/c of the baby's less than effective action at the breast.

but the 'matter of time'  hopefully will not be an issue.   the
frenotomy will be done tomorrow.  yeah!!!!  that g-d for our wonderful
sympathetic ENT here.

<<I also always
> tell moms that I consider the nipple shield a "transitional tool" to get
> baby back to breast and the idea is to get rid of it as soon as baby is
> ready>>

yes...

<< but in reality I've had moms using a nipple shield for months with
> no problems.>>

that's so interesting.  an acquaintance of mine nursed for nearly 2
years with a sheld.  though many many many attempts were made,  baby
always refused to nurse at the breast without the shield.

<<One baby decided she was done with it at 5 months and had
> been gaining and growing beautifully using the shield.  I now have a mom
> with a Down Syndrome baby who is 6 months and still on the shield and
> doing fine.>>

that's fabulous.

<<I came to this field through LLL and nipple shields were a huge "no no",
> but I've found over the years that they can be a wonderful tool for a
> baby who won't go to breast any other way.  I don't use them as the first
> thing I try, but they are in my "tool box".>>

exactly.  2nd all of that.

All the best,
katherine