Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 17:24:58 EDT
Congratulations Patti!  Sounds like an ideal opportunity.  The free standing
Birth Center where my office is became Baby-Friendly a year ago last April -
# 18 in the USA, I believe.  It was a fairly simple process for us since we
were just about there at the start.  We still had to write up 'official'
policies, have some inservices, and go over the entire office with a fine
toothe comb looking for offending info/advertising etc.  Was a wonderful
eye-opener and a terrific experience.  The CEO for the hospital (250+ births
per month) where I work pt time doing rounds, has dreams/visions of becoming
Baby-Friendly. This will be considerably more challenging!  There are some
very high level supporters in key positions - so it could happen there too!
That would be outrageous!  Will keep posted on this if it begins to move.
Inertia is such a powerful force!
So, what do you need? The best place to start is with the policies. Try to
get everybody who wishes to, to participate.  If folks feel like they're
doing some of the driving they aren't as likely to object to the journey.
Take the time to discuss the issues - especially the ones that people cling
to so fervently.  Try to brainstorm alternative ideas and the results
frequently are better than what you might have intended to impose initially.
Would love to hear how others have gone/are going through the process at
their various facilities.

Gretchen Andrews, BA, IBCLC
The Lactation Connection
private practice, So. Calif, USA