From:
Carol Chamblin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:43:38 EST
I have to digress a little on the subject of physicians telling us what we
can and cannot do.  I really have a pretty open-mind regarding feeding
techniques.  I feel it is my role to inform a woman on the art of
breastfeeding so that she can be successful.  But, I don't feel a woman is a
"failure" if circumstances don't allow her to exclusively breastfeed.
Anyways, going back to the physicians telling us what we can and cannot do.
I was attending a Peds. dept. meeting this week when a female pediatrician
adamently claimed that "the lactation consultants are 'prescribing' fenugreek
to her moms and that she wanted this practice stopped!"  Why? you may ask?
Because, of course, they are her patients!!  "The nurses better not dare to
tell them this stuff because the side effects are so bad!"  Many attendees in
the room were unfamiliar with fenugreek.  Many attendees laughed at her
outcries.  And, I plan to bring the facts and data to the next dept. meeting.
 She's created a situation I'm willing to participate in.  I'll inform the
other physicians on fenugreek.  Then they can each make their own informed
decisions.
Carol Chamblin, RN, MS, IBCLC
Geneva, Il