From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:56:30 EDT
In a message dated 4.25.03 9:55:32 AM, Rachel writes:

> From personal experience I can report that my ample energy stores with my
> first pregnancy, were completely gone by 6 months post partum, even though
> my exclusively BF child had only gained about half of what I had lost.  As
> my weight approached pre-pregnant weight, my appetite increased
> dramatically.  As long as I was lactating at all, I was hungrier than
> before
> and could eat anything in any amount I wanted, with total impunity,
> something I have longed for many times in the intervening years.  My
> pre-pregnant BMI was in the low end of the normal range.  Alas, it has
> migrated upward in recent years.  There is no reason whatsoever to think
> that a woman whose pre-pregnant BMI was high, would have the same metabolic
> features as mine while lactating.

Beautifully explained Rachel and my experience EXACTLY.   I have long been
perplexed as to why my appetite was so much greater and by body fat so much
lower with my first vs. 2nd or 3rd babies.   Having assumed it had more to do
with the ever ticking clock, I gave little thought to BMI involvement- but it
really makes perfect sense!!

Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin,Massachusetts