From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2004 01:09:56 EDT
One of the other points that Dr. Haynes made in her presentation at ILCA  was
that the ads (posters / TV / radio) are SUPPOSED to be over the edge and
ridiculous so that people who aren't comfortable talking about (shhh)
breastfeeding! are comfortable discussing the ads.  Someone else at the  conference
likened it to those of us who watch the Superbowl (American football)  for the
commercials and not the game.  It's the "water cooler" discussion  the next day
that makes the brand/company stick in the public's mind.  We  are going for
"name recognition".

my take:  It is an ice breaker for those raised with breasts selling  beer
and cars and watching baby animals bottle feed. This isn't supposed to  be the
aww...cute baby.  It is supposed to be "sit up and take  notice".  Use what you
are comfortable with using and just be sure to  support the campaign's effort
to any nay-sayers so that we are all giving the  same information to our
patients/press/public.

Maybe the fact that I like the ads comes from my father being a New Yorker
and spending 9 years in the Army!  ")
Christie Pillado
El Paso, TX