From:
Virginia Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:07:40 +1000
I have followed the strand on baby slings with interest.  Yes, as some
Lactnetters have pointed out, having the baby upright and firmly against the
adult's body is important, and a feature of all the best baby slings -
including traditional ones. The one I used for years was a meh tai, the
genuine design, which was tied by twisting the four straps together and then
tucking them in.  I would spread the sling on the bed, put the baby on it,
lean back, pull the four straps firmly, and then twist them together when I
had my baby positioned on my back.  The Chinese twist way of tying it suited
my very, very narrow shoulders perfectly, as the straps never slipped off my
shoulders.  The revised version that came on the market would have been most
unsafe for me to use as it fastened the straps a different way - and the
straps would, for sure, have slipped off my shoulders, just as my bra straps
have always slipped.

I am concerned about the types of slings available in Australia where the
baby is worn in front, facing ahead.  The poor kids might see more, but they
see everything rushing towards them and are not held towards the security of
the parent's body.  It can't be good for the adult's back, as the centre of
gravity is different, and that's even worse when an adult is loading the car
with the baby in the front-facing sling, the baby wobbling and her/his legs
dangling away from the parent.

I shall be going Lactnet "nomail" later today.  Please copy any responses to
me privately.

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
E: [log in to unmask]