Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 08:08:08 +0000
I must get this off my chest.  I think that UNICEF is making a big
mistake in initiating this programme to provide free formula to babies
of HIV infected mothers.  This is, in my opinion, a disaster.  Anyone
who has worked in poor countries will immediately forsee the problems
of distribution--mud clogged roads, spoilage.  Encouragement of
formula feeding in mothers who are not HIV positive.  "Syphoning off
of formula" which will be found in the markets to be sold.  Uganda,
for example, is in a constant state of civil war and murder.  Rwanda
the same.  How are the mothers going to be kept with a constant supply
of ready to use formula?

And I do not believe that the objective will be achieved.  The
children will get sick and die of something else.

And the formula companies will get nice strokes from the NY Times for
their selfless contributions.

I am sick at heart about this.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC