Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 09:26:20 +0000
Help!  I tend to think myself into continuous circles with these kind of questions so I am hoping someone can help me with this one:

Regarding WIC--I was asked to provide a 'formula' for deciding how many cans of formula to provide for a mother who is breastfeeding but needs to supplement due to separation (employment etc.).  The goal is to offer only what is needed to encourage continued breastfeeding and not give more.  This is for general guidelines to help staff work with a mom to make this decision.  What I think I was asked for is something along the lines of:
2-4 hours separation-1 can formula
4-8 hours separation-2 cans formula

I started out looking at number of ounces a formula fed baby is suppose to have per day---then subtracking the time baby is breastfed....then I get caught up in that every breastfed feeding is different (unlike formula), is baby only breastfed when with mom, is baby allowed the breast at all other times, babies tend to be overfed in daycare, and so on....  Am I just over thinking this?

I do this all the time with clients---but I guess I am working from some understanding I have that I don't even think about...not to mention I can really get better info from an individual than just a general guideline.  Or maybe I just don't like providing formula regardless!!!!!!!

So if anyone has a clearer picture of this whole concept, please share it with me!
--
Michele L. Crockett, IBCLC, PCPA
Breastfeeding Promotion Consultant