Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:44:42 EST
Valerie has correctly reminded us that it is not just one particular brand of
formula that has added DHA/ARA to it. Mead Johnson has added these fatty
acids from Martek to almost all of its infant formula line. Ross Products has
also added this preparation to its line of formulas. Wyeth added it to all of
the store brand formulas. To make matters worse, the baby food manufacturers
have added it to the little jars of pureed baby foods. Now we have the great
unknown--what happens to babies fed these formulas and then fed baby foods
with the additives? We have NO data on the growth, development, nutritional
status, or health outcomes of babies reared on microalgae and soil fungus for
the first year of life! Parents are buying this stuff thinking that they are
doing the best for their babies. Maybe they should read on.

The FDA's Office of Nutritional Products, Labeling, and Dietary Supplements
has put up a new web site on infant formula.
http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/inf-toc.html that explains how FDA regulates
formula as well as detailed instructions for reporting problems. I thought I
was only mildly scared, now I am petrified after reading the following at
this site under frequently asked questions:

Does FDA approve infant formulas before they are marketed?

The law does not require that FDA approve infant formulas but instead
requires companies to provide certain information to FDA before they market
new infant formulas. Manufacturers must provide assurances that they are
following good manufacturing practices and quality control procedures and
that the formula will allow infants to thrive. If such assurances are not
provided, FDA will object to the manufacturer's marketing of the formula;
however, the manufacturer may market the new infant formula over FDA's
objection.

Now someone tell me what is the point of all of this. Check out the site.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA