From:
"Linda J. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 09:31:24 -0400
Hi All,

There are quite a few resources on short and/or tight frenula around. The best, IMHO, is Alison Hazelbaker's Masters Thesis which presents a screening tool that she is developing for an objective decision on whether or not to clip. E-mail her at [log in to unmask] for more information. This was reviewed in the JHL some time ago.

Dr. Greg Notestine (DDS) here in Dayton does a very simple procedure. Mom lays back in the dental chair holding  baby in her lap, face up. Dentist explores baby's mouth with gloved fingers wetted down with breastmilk (helps hide the taste of latex), and uses a sterile scissors in the other hand to do the clip. Then he sits the chair upright again and mom IMMEDIATELY puts baby to breast. Many babies don't even cry, rarely is there bleeding (and when there is, it's a drop or two), and mom usually has immediate pain relief, and we see vastly improved feeding. Occasionally there's a suck problem as well, which requires more work.

In my personal view, I have a hard time justifying NOT doing the clip in most cases because it's such a simple procedure with such vast benefits in feeding, oral development and speech. Not doing it is like trying to run a marathon with your sneakers tied together. It appears to be less traumatic than the heel sticks to get blood, and far less involved than circumcisions. (No, I won't explore that thread).

Interestingly, Greg is finding that boys are more likely (2/3 out of over 100 seen) than girls to have this condition. His address was in the Sept. 1990 JHL theme issue on anklyoglossia.

Linda Smith, BSE, FACCE, IBCLC
Dayton OH where it's still dreary, rainy and chilly. Great weather for ducks.