Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:38:57 EST

Virginia writes:

Obesity  as an infant problem isn't new.  I came across some alarmingly
high  weights of babies of 9 months and other ages in the letters pages of an
Australian women's magazine in 1928, while doing my PhD thesis a few years
ago.

~~~I think we'd all agree with that. In the US though, I feel like this is
the first time anyone of any real "clout" or at least public persona with
the  potential for clout, is  really talking about this issue and trying to
implement change.
On a sad/amusing/ironic side note: I was on the bus yesterday,which was
VERY crowded. A couple with twin preschoolers got on the bus. Now, on City
buses  one is supposed to get on a  bus with a stroller only if it is folded.
They  announced that their double stroller was broken and did not fold, then
pushed it  into the exit doorway, where the father attempted to move it
around as needed so  people could exit. The mother came in normally and paid the
fare. He saved her  seats and they chatted, quite loudly, during the 30
minutes I was on the bus  with them. At one point, a lot of people were trying
to get off the bus. He  remarked: "it's only the obese people that are
having any problem getting around  it [the stroller]." This from the man with the
half-smoked, just put out,  cigarette dangling from his pocket. Just love
the irony of pointing  out one visible health issue over another, more
invisible one ( except for  the coughing and raspy voice)... Here is choice in the
US at its best,  yes?

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL