Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 08:30:44 EST
Dear Folks:
        This is in response to Anne's sharing of the MOST publishing of a
letter from mother of 6, including quads. While Ezzo-style parenting is not
recommended and sounds awful, please don't forget the stress on a mother and
the rest of her family when there are triplets, quads, or more in the family.
        The PODEE bottle set-up is designed for self-feeding without the risk
of aspiration: the bottle teat is attached to a long flexible straw that goes
inside the bottle; once the baby stops sucking, no liquid can come out.
Before I worked with a mother of triplets, I was horrified at such things. It
was easy to be judgemental. After seeing the triplets, and being with that
mother, my attitude changed.
        Can you, for one second, even imagine having 4 babies of the same age
and developmental stage all going off in 4 directions at once, while there
other older children plus a husband plus the rest of life? Without live-in
help? Where would you find the time to blow your nose in privacy, much less
cope with mothering 4 babies simultaneously?
        I hope that folks doing intensive fertility work would receive some
sort of anticipatory guidance about the risks of multiples, besides all the
prematurity and pregnancy bedrest issues....there is a lifetime of totally
intense work when they all come home! Warmly, Nikki Lee